Saturday, January 22, 2011

(Belated) Happy New Year & Cherry Bombe

I have no excuse for my absence other than the laziness that comes with the Summer holidays and then the panic that comes with return to work. So I wish you all a happy new year, albeit rather belatedly. Over the last month I've had a lovely (and indulgent) Christmas, made the famous wedding fruitcake, made some resolutions about sustainable shopping and eating, and generally enjoyed the sunshine. Link
My family gets very excited by Christmas, very very very excited. Our Christmas menu was heavily influenced by Gourmet Traveller, particularly the dessert that Mum and I made on Christmas Eve, a spectacular Cherry Bombe. You can find the recipe here.

Believe the instructions when they say that the recipe is very involved. For us that meant a division of labour. I made the sponge cake and pitted what seemed like thousands of cherries before we made the sorbet together. Mum made the cherry ripple ice cream. I made and applied the Italian meringue. Mum blow torched it (and briefly set the bombe on fire!) So a big team effort. During the process we had some doubts over whether the end result would be worth the effort, but believe me it was.

So I'll leave you with a promise to write again soon! TTFN xx

1 comment:

  1. oh WOW. that looks addictive. i shall just imagine the taste... for the time being :)

    ReplyDelete