Saturday, December 18, 2010

Specialty Christmas Cake Class at Planet Cake

In an effort to hone my skills working with fruitcake and marzipan I signed up for a new two day specialty class offered by Planet Cake. I found marzipan to be so much cleaner than working with ganache so I will definitely be promoting the fruitcake/marzipan wedding cake option to people in the future. Sometimes a little tradition is a good thing!

Spending almost a full day making 3 elves has left me with much more confidence in making figurines. Although I am not sure that I would be able to model anybody who does not want to resemble Noddy...
It was also the first time I've used a pasta machine to roll fondant icing and believe me it was a complete revelation. The red ribbons were rolled and cut from fondant "lasagne" and the green ribbon was made from fondant fettucine. The pasta machine is also fabulous for making elf girl hair.
As usual post Planet Cake course I am thrilled with the outcome and left feeling quietly confident about the looming wedding cake decorating... stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. OMG That is amazing! :o Even the ribbon is a work of art. Fabulous job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. v.v.v. delicious to look at - both in pics and in real life! thanks so much for the delicious caramels!

    ReplyDelete