Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Daring Bakers' Challenge: Christmas Stollen

Stollen is one of those things you see every Christmas piled up by the checkout at the fruit shop, or even Aldi. I tend to think of it (rather unkindly) as Panettone's ugly cousin.

As it turns out, I don't mind Stollen at all. It's a fruity, yeasty bread, not dissimilar to Greek Tsoureki although less buttery and moist. The think I enjoyed the most about this challenge was watching Martha Stewart's instructional video on how to make bread in the shape of a wreath. If you are a Martha freak like I am you can have a look at Martha's recipe and the video demonstration here. I am besotted with Mrs Kostyra. She is one feisty old duck!

The 2010 December Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Penny of Sweet Sadie’s Baking. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make Stollen. She adapted a friend’s family recipe and combined it with information from friends, techniques from Peter Reinhart’s book.........and Martha Stewart’s demonstration.

1 comment:

  1. Your stollen is stunning! And I think that I should definitely give Tsoureki as you say that is more buttery and moist! :D

    ReplyDelete